My modus operandi prior to traveling to the States for the summer and Christmas is to replenish my garrison with books and music that I cannot otherwise readily find in Europe. Thus, a week or so before leaving, I always go on Amazon or Ebay and make a large purchase (to be shipped State side). The supply — supplemented throughout the year with local purchases — generally lasts me until the subsequent trip. As a matter of fact, I have only two books left on deck that should last me from now until the time I travel. That’s some pretty good timing! In any event, here is what I have ordered.
- Netherland: A Novel by Joseph O’Neill;
- De Niro’s Game: A Novel by Rawi Hage;
- Morocco since 1830: A History by C.R. Pennell;
- When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris; and
- Arabia Felix: The Danish Expedition of 1761-1767 by Thorkild Hansen.