I received an email with this Robin Williams monologue about how the U.S. should deal with peace in the world by essentially telling the world to screw off and shutting U.S. borders. Of course, it is tounge-and-cheek, and I have not verified whether it is really attributable to Williams. Nevertheless, I think his argument is rather infantile and simplistic. It is the typical “if you don’t like it, then leave” response you get in every wealthy country around the world when someone complains.
So basically he argues that if foreigners complain about U.S. foreign policy, then the U.S. should stop doing all of those things that actually have a great benefit to the world. As I have said, this is rather silly. It is like an abusive father saying that if you don’t like the way he treats you, then you should support yourself; or an abusive boss who tells you that if you don’t like it, then get a different job. The U.S. needs to stop living in the past, for example, by saying that Europeans should thank us for World War II. Just because we do or did some good, doesn’t mean that we have carte blanche. I know you should not bite the hand that feeds you, but just because you give out a few small hand-outs, doesn’t mean that you are free from criticism.
In any event, here is Robin Williams:
I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here’s one plan.
- The US will apologize to the world for our “interference” in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those “good ‘ole’ boys”, we will never “interfere” again.
- We will withdraw our tro ops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don’t want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.
- All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave.We’ll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They’re illegal!!! France will welcome them.
- All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don’t like it there, change it yourself and don’t hide her e. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don’t need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.
- No foreign “students” over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don’t attend classes, they get a “D” and it’s back home baby.
- The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.
- Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don’t like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)
- If there is a famine or other natural catastrop he in the world, we will not “interfere.” They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.
- Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don’t need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
- All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us “Ugly Americans” any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH…learn it…or LEAVE…Now, isn’t that a winner of a plan?
The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.” She’s got a baseball bat and she’s yelling, ‘you want a piece of me?'”