“Softly as in a Morning Sunrise” is one of my most recent favorite Jazz standards. Here I have taken pieces from five separate versions and put them together. This is a nice way to see how different musicians approach and interpret the piece differently. Each version coincides with the photo from the album from which the version comes, as listed here:
- Eric Dolphy, The Illinois Concert, with Herbie Hancock on piano
- Ron Carter with Eric Dolphy, Where?
- The Modern Jazz Quartet, Concord
- Sonny Clark, The Sonny Clark Trio
- John Coltrane, The Complete 1961 Villiage Vanguard Recordings, with McCoy Tyner doing most of the work.